WRITING FOR IELTS: Line graph is another form of the task being asked in IELTS EXAM. It is generally used to show a trend in some sort of data. Just like a Bar Graph, in the Line Graph also. we have to follow a specific pattern:
Body paragraph 1.
Body paragraph 2.
- In paraphrasing, we paraphrase the title of the task or write the introduction of the task in our own language.
- In Body Paragraph 1 and 2, we write the main content of the task.
- Overall, we give a finish to the task by writing a conclusion for it.
word limit -:150 minimum
In this article, we will put a glance over how to make effective and impressive sentences in order to grasp high bands in writing task 1 of ACADEMIC IELTS. So, let’s begin with our actual task that includes:
The graph shows the population of turtles in India from 1980 to 2012
INTRODUCTION(WRITING FOR IELTS)
The line graph elucidates the population of variant breed turtles found in India between the time period of more than three decades. Data is calibrated in numbers.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR INTRODUCTION:
- Do not imitate the words from question statement
- Like -instead of shows I have written elucidates
- In place of turtles, I have used variant breed turtles-depicted time period in decades
BODY PARAGRAPH 1.(WRITING FOR IELTS)
As can be seen from the statistical figure that initially the value of all the species of turtles was static at 100 in the year 1980. After that, in 1990 the tortoise of leatherback variety plunge to 95 along with the number of green turtles again stood at 100 after some fluctuations in their count over the period. While all species of turtles and olive ridley turtles recorded a slung in their aggregate populace that is 105 and 118 respectively.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR BODY PARAGRAPH 1.
(WRITING FOR IELTS)
- Always start the body paragraph with an expression like, here we have used the expression (As can be seen).
- Instead of writing the line graph, again and again, you can use the noun ‘statistical figure’ and this noun can be used in place of the name of the bar graph, pie charts, tables, and graphs etcetera.
- Make comparisons of the opposites
for e.g.- leatherback turtles plunge while all species and olive ridley turtles slung.
BODY PARAGRAPH 2.(WRITING FOR IELTS).
On the other hand, the leatherback turtles gradually down surge by 25 more turtles accompanied by fall down in the number of green turtles by 5, in the year 2000. Additionally, the count of all species of turtles was stagnant at near about 100 instead of the olive ridley turtles population that quickly rose to 130. Then, in 2010 all olive turtles again registered dominance in their numbers among the other type of turtles and remained constant at 130 in the numeral. Eventually, in 2012 the exact figure of turtles of green and olive ridley breed shown a downward trend, however, the other species presented no change in their number, that time.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR BODY PARAGRAPH 2.
(WRITING FOR IELTS)
- Start with an expression that is
(on the other hand)
- In the second body paragraph, take a different approach to compare.
Now, there is no need to mention the actual decreased number but we can write the amount of decrease in the number As in the above body paragraph, I have written the preposition ‘by’ instead of ‘to’ (Used in body paragraph 1). (The leatherback turtle gradually down surge by 25) (fall down in the number of green turtles by 5).
- use suitable connectors to make complex sentences such as accompanied by, instead etcetera as are used in body paragraph 2 written above.
- use linkers such as additionally, then, eventually etcetera.
OVERALL (WRITING FOR IELTS)
Overall, there was an inverse relationship in the count of leatherback and olive ridley turtle’s population.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR OVERALL (WRITING FOR IELTS)
In the overall, draw a conclusion that shows an adequate trend of whole data in a single line
When data is available in huge or large amount, divide it smartly. As I have divided the whole information into DECADES that is 1990, 2000, 2010. Otherwise, it would have been a quite difficult task to write every year’s information within a specific word limit. (WRITING FOR IELTS)
What is a decade?
DECADE is referred to as the tenure of 10 years. That actually means, there is no need to write 10 years as we can use the word decade instead of this. (WRITING FOR IELTS)
SEE OTHER POSTS: