Here, in this article, we are going to have an eye over another type of agree disagree essay. Normally, you are asked to stand in favor of or against a specific statement. But, sometimes you come across a particular type of question in the Ielts exam that includes one certain line that is ‘to what extent do you AGREE or DISAGREE’.
In this type of question, you are suggested to write favor points along with some against points. To what extent do you agree or disagree basically means that to what proportion or to what limit you are a proponent or opponent of a given statement in the question. Hence, the pupils are usually recommended to use a 70-30 approach.
Now, what does the 70-30 approach mean?
Well, It actually means that you have to explain one side in a stronger way than the other one but you need to explain both sides. For instance- if you agree to the given statement than describe more points of agreement and less of disagreement and vice versa if you disagree.
For making it more comprehensible, let’s take an example of a full-fledged essay. In addition to this, the essay will be accompanied by some key points for each paragraph.
Some people believe that most of the people make purchases after they get impressed by an advertisement and not as per their requirement.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Advertising has emerged as a powerful weapon in the hands of the sellers with which they can highly influence the minds of the individuals that later compel them to buy more products. For the same condition, some conservatives are of the view that the maximum products are purchased by the public because they come under the influence of advertising and not because they are really in need of those products. Here, I am partially proponent to this statement and will discuss my personal views in favor of them with some contradictions.
Tips for introductory paragraph:
1. As you know, there is a specific pattern for the opening paragraph of every task 2 essay that is
Then, rephrase the statement of the question
At last, put a thesis statement
2. In general statement, you need to write a universal truth that is related to the topic given in the question.
Such as- in the above essay of ‘To what extent do you agree or disagree’, you can see that the topic is related to advertisement Hence, I have written the general statement keeping in mind the relevance of advertisement in the general life of humans.
3. In the second line, rephrase the question statement of To what extent do you agree or disagree essay. Try not to imitate the words being used in the given question
like- instead of
b. believe that
c. They get impressed
we have used
b. are of the view that
c. under the influence
4. In the thesis statement, write about either you accord or disagree with this statement. Under the essay type of ‘To what extent do you agree or disagree’, you have to disclose that you partially agree and partially disagree with the statement.
BODY PARAGRAPH 1
To embark with, advertising has evolved much over a period of many years and has become a vital part of the seller and consumer’s life. As the number of consumers is growing day by day more expenses are incurred by sellers on the effectiveness of their products and that later puts pressure on the mental ability of the consumers and persuades them to buy the same products irrespective of their necessities and requirements for a particular product. Additionally, a further contribution is made by the Impressive taglines being used by various companies to introduce their products with a grand entry in the market. This again assist them in achieving a high scale of their product’s sale and to develop a strong customer base. The interesting part is that they actually succeed in reaching their desired goals of holding a large customer base as plenty of people make purchases just by getting impressed by those so-called tag lines. The final factor may be the eye-catchy packaging of the ready to use product that literally overcome the relevance of the need and satisfaction of consumer by using the same product.
Tips for body paragraph 1:
- Start with a linker.
For example- To embark with.
- Use connectors precisely as per your need in the whole body paragraph.
For instance- additionally, interestingly.
- Remember to add at least 3- 4 points in the body paragraph 1. So as to make your thoughts comprehensible for the examiner.
- Organize your data precisely and in a structured way in order to grab more bands in CC that is Coherence and cohesion parameter of ‘To what extent do you agree or disagree essay’.
BODY PARAGRAPH 2
On the contrary side, some reckon that people make purchases as per their need as today’s consumer is quite rational and he knows very well the value of money and also he don’t want to waste his earnings over the purchase of products that may not yield need satisfaction to him in future. Moreover, inflation too has effected many sections of society. So, rather than buying products after getting swayed by high profile adverts, they make purchases according to their budget only. Consequently, advertisements have less effect on them.
Tips for body paragraph 2:
- Initiate with a contradictory connector so that it can be clearly understood that in this body paragraph you are going to write some points of disagreement.
- Use suitable connectors.
Like- on the contrary side, moreover, consequently, etc.
- Explain about two to three points in body paragraph 2.
- Try to keep the length of both body paragraphs equal in ‘To what extent do you agree or disagree’ essay.
- Add Only relevant points that revolve around the main idea of ‘To what extent do you agree or disagree’ essay.
- Use bedazzling and alluring vocab words in order to garner 7 bands in writing task as a whole.
Before putting the pen down, it can be stated that no doubt advertisements affect the purchase habits of many customers with leaps and bounds, but there are other types of customers that make purchases in accordance with their purchasing power and needs.
Tips for concluding paragraph:
- Write an adoring connector at the beginning
Such as- Before putting the pen down
- Draw a Conclusion by keeping in mind the thoughts of both contradictory parties of ‘To what extent do you agree or disagree’ essay.
see other posts also: